Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Response: Modern

When thinking about most things with art, we look at the past. To be honest, I had never considered that for design. I mean, yes, I have looked at past designs to get inspiration, but is it naive of me to say that I never actually looked at the past design inspirations as coming from a certain genre and time period? Well, if it is, don't worry. I'm maturing and I think it is about time my designs need the professional, mature look...while maintaining a fun and classic look.

The modern era is something that is timelessly classic in my opinion and I think it's nice to remember where designs come from. The modern era had a wide range of illustrations and they typically always had people in them. To me the strike me as a great comic strip in early newspapers, with elegance and a real message to get across. Not just serving as a funny section for the kids, below are some pictures from our book illustrating what I mean.





1 comment:

  1. These designs are so intricate; it's hard to imagine these printed in a newspaper nowadays! One thing I found really interesting in the drawings: in every one, there's a scene with people and some copy above it. This concept seems to still be used as a magazine advertisement layout today. Just a thought!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete