Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Response: Quick to judge

166753354-580.jpg




The New Yorker wrote an article called "The Saudi Marathon Man" and this article I really thinks makes journalists think twice. We are always thinking, "be the first," "get the story out there," but something journalists had to think about after this story broke, is what if the story isn't the right story.
A young man, marathon runner, and Saudi Arabia native was harassed and his reputation torn to shreds when police destroyed his house and image, accusing him of the bombing. Why did they do this? I mean, it's quite obvious to me and The New Yorker, it's because of his race, his beliefs, and his culture. As Americans, we should be accepting of all foreigners, our country was founded my immigrants, but as journalists we have to be knowledgable and understanding of different backgrounds. I don't know about you guys, but sometimes I think journalists forget we have to step back and analyze the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment