Monday, March 18, 2013

Critique

Covers: This week I have a lot to critique. I'll start with my Route 66 covers, which was the photo essay feature. 

I chose the photo of the diner with the Route 66 painted on the outside wall because the colors struck me as a road trip. The red tint and bright neon signs shouted, fun, old diner. I went with the cover lines along the bottom because I think it works best with the photo. I made the feature hed and dek yellow and white to play with the colors in the photo. It helps them stand out more, while also tying into the theme of the photo. 




My other favorite cover was the open road sunset photograph going into California. This photo, again, feels like a road trip on a back road highway and the photo really had an old-timey feel. I chose to do a burnt orange color for the hed after talking with Erica, but I think the placement was too low into the photo. 







Men of Stephens feature:

My first draft was lacking, so I didn't post the look of that one. However, the draft posted is very picture heavy, which I have been critiqued for. I do think it looks cramped, but having to include a photo of all the guys getting their certificate is something I have been instructed to do. With it being a shorter story and the pictures of the men being kind of difficult to work with, this feature was a little tricky. This feature, in general, was tricky because everything was done so fast. Kate (writer) and Liz (photographer) did a great job of getting everything together so quickly on such short notice.
While working on this feature, the saying "patience is a virtue" was hammered in my brain. As designers we are always the last to finish because a lot of time we are the last factored in a decision. We have to remember to just have patience and not get, too, stressed.

2 comments:

  1. Your design for the men of stephens was really great and I commend you for volunteering to take that project on. I know the turnaround for it was super fast. But it's a very nice spread, and I think that you did a great jog. I especially like the way you colored the entry points and used black to highlight "men" within the word "woman."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby, I think your spread turned out great! Yes, the turnaround was fast, but I feel like in the real world that's a realistic deadline, so you're now more prepared and experienced on short deadlines than anyone else!I was able to see all your drafts and it was awesome to see how each one developed and got stronger. I know it's difficult trying to balance text and photos but I think you took on the challenge and did a great job. You can now breath easy and get ready to enjoy your spring break!!

    ReplyDelete